Like Poly. Only Better.
FlexSHIELD is an aqueous-based barrier coating designed for use in folding carton applications where scoring and folding often create major challenges.
FlexSHIELD is the first fully compostable product that provides polyethylene-like protection at an economical price point. Boxes treated with the innovative coating are FDA-, CFIA-, and EUR-compliant for direct food contact.
To see how FlexSHIELD can help you get a larger share of a market concerned with food waste diversion, contact Cascades Sonoco.
Some of the Many Benefits of FlexSHIELD:
- Works With Numerous Substrates—FlexSHIELD can be applied on various paper substrates, including liners, cardboard, chipboard, and SBS.
- Performs Like Polyethylene—There is no significant difference in stiffness between FlexSHIELD and poly-coated board.
- Aesthetically Appealing—Unlike polyethylene, FlexSHIELD isn’t glossy, doesn’t look like plastic, and can be shaded or tinted.
- Heat-Sealable—FlexSHIELD can be heat-sealed for secure and tamper-evident closures.
- Greater Recyclability—FlexSHIELD can be recycled multiple times and, when recycled, the fiber yield is over 98%.
- Approved for Direct Food Contact—FlexSHIELD is FDA-, CFIA-, and EUR-compliant for direct food contact.
- Safe for Microwaves—FlexSHIELD is microwave-compliant for dry, aqueous, and fatty foods.
- Certified Compostable—FlexSHIELD has been certified as compostable by BNQ (Bureau de normalisation du Québec) and TÜV AUSTRIA.
What Makes Flexshield Superior?
Corn-based resins like PLA are expensive and may contain unwanted GMOs, while polyethylene coatings are not recyclable or compostable.
FlexSHIELD, on the other hand, is the only product on the market that performs like polyethylene and is fully compostable, recyclable, and repulpable. Plus, it won’t crack in scores and folds, and it offers a performance barrier that helps prevent leakage of liquid in to-go containers.
A Better Overall Experience for End Users
Ultimately, customers will avoid stains and spills and will appreciate that FlexSHIELD is certified compostable using ASTM certification methods—meaning it meets the toughest international standards of environmental excellence.
Have more questions about FlexSHIELD? Let's talk.